Good Stone A.M.E. Zion Church
Good Stone AME Zion Church Pastors (Formerly Mt. Stoney AME Zion Church)
Pastors of Good Stone(Formerly Mt.Stoney AME Zion Church)
Rev. W.G. Brown
Rev. W.C. McCollum
Rev. J.L. Griffin
Rev. W.L. Landrum
Rev. L.C. Hunt
Rev. R. Riley
Rev. R.L. Walker
Rev. Fred Thomas
Rev. Eddie Jones
Rev. Robert G. Johnson
Rev. Harold Griffin
Rev. Reginal Garner
Rev. Evan May
Rev. Henry Jackson
Rev. Ida Pritchett
Rev. R. Riley
Rev. Robert Adams
Rev. Clarence Parker
Rev. Juanita Brown Johnson
The founders of Good Stone
(formerly Mt. Stoney AME Zion Church)
worked diligently seeking Gods will for their lives, helping others and meeting the ever-changing needs of the church and communities in which we live.
Pictured below are some of Good Stone's founders and prayer warriors.
Members names and photos are listed from top to bottom, left to right
(On Left) Willie and Minnie King (On Right) Mildred and Charlie Johnson
(On Left) Sofia Ervin (On Right) Elizabeth Richardson
(On Left) Vivian Gregg (On Right) Sara Gully
(On Left) Emanual & Anne King (On Right) Stokes & Carrie Mae Moore
(On Left) Callie King & Malissa Moore
GOOD HOPE FOUNDERS
In 1889, a band of dedicated believers built the first log church, (Mt. Stoney AME Zion), in Leroy, Alabama on a tract of land farther back in the same field where it is presently located. The land was later purchased from Mr. and Mrs. Dabley Palmer, on August 6, 1900. The trustees at that time were Bro. Henry Jordan, Bro. Henry Baker, Bro. Matt Kemp, Bro. Bill Reed and Bro. Mose Coleman.
The church remained in that location until 1938, when it was rebuilt on its present site. The trustees were Bro. J. Morris, Bro. Frank Moore, Bro. J. M. McConico, Bro. J. Davis, Bro. H. Howell, Bro. Dave King, Bro. R. Moore, Bro. Willie King (Secretary), Bro. P. Pruitt ( Treasurer ), Rev. Bleaven was the Pastor.
After 21 years, the old lumber church was torn down and a block church was built on the same site by Bro. Elliott Chaney and Bro. James Johnson. On October 18, 1959, the Pastor, Officers, Members and Friends marched into the new church. The trustees were Bro. Dave King, Bro. Herbert Moore, Bro. Charlie Johnson, Bro. A. W. Baker, Bro. Ben Tarleton, Bro. Willie King- Chairman. Rev. W. C. McCollum was the Pastor, Rev. T. C. Gill, Presiding Elder and Rev. H. B. Shaw, Bishop.
Rev. Richard Riley was assigned to Mt. Stoney Around 1961. Seeing the need for a Dining Hall, the Pastor and Members worked toward that goal. The Fellowship Hall was built by Rev. Riley and Bro. Earl Tiggs.
In 1977, the Fellowship Hall was renovated and changed into a Pastor`s Study, Office, and Bathrooms. A new Fellowship Hall was built by Bro. James C. Johnson.
In 1983, Additional Bathrooms were added to the front of the church. Sis. Juanita Johnson, Sis. Micki Savage, Sis Janie King Simon and others were very instrumental in the completion and decorating of this project.
In the mid 80's the old wooden pews and pulpit furniture was replaced with the cushion pews and pulpit furniture we enjoy today. Central air conditioning was installed and a new Piano was also added to the choir. Sis. Annie King, Sis. Liza Richardson and other worked hard on these projects.
In 2001, the Fellowship Hall was remodeled, new floor tile, a refrigerator and kitchen cabinets were added. Bro. Darnell Johnson, Rev. Juanita Johnson, Bro. Derrick Johnson and others worked on this project. The ceiling fans were donated by Sis. Mildred Johnson.
In 2002, the Church Foyer and Pastors Study were remodeled by Bro. Jimmy Simon and Bro. Sidney Davis. Decorations were done by Sis. Barbara Ervin, Sis. Elizabeth King and Sis, Annie King. On March 28, 2002 new windows were installed in the sanctuary.
In May, 2003 a long time dream of the late Rev. Richard Riley became a reality, with the help and support of Rev. and Mrs. Parker and the Members of Mt. Stoney, We were able to brick the church. That same year the church was also blessed with a newsletter ans website, edited and published by Virginia "Micki" Savage.
In March, 2004 a new roof was put on the church.
On Jan. 12, 2005 the members of Good Hope AME Zion Church and Mt. Stoney AME Zion Church united the two memberships and formed one church. Good Hope was closed and Mt. Stoney was renamed "Good Stone AME Zion Church". These two churches united and formed a solid rock, a Stone, a "Good Stone".
After the two churches united, On Dec. 3, 2006 Good Stone established a small Library for the children and adults. Books and bookshelves were donated by Kathy Etheredge and Micki Savage.
The year 2012 started with God's blessings for our members and more improvements for our church. Our members are growing stronger in the Lord and our church is growing also. A new ceiling and new lighting added a new look in the sanctuary and foyer. The outside also got a new look; shrubbery was added to the front entrance.
"We, the Members of Good Stone AME Zion Church have worked hard to improve our church. We now worship in modern day comfort, but our greatest achievement is the fact that we are still keep God first and serving God in the same spirit as our fore parents."
MT. STONEY AME ZION CHURCH,1959 (RE-NAMED GOOD STONE IN 2005)
^ GOOD HOPE AME ZION CHURCH
GOOD STONE'S YOUTH
Meet Our Church Family
We are a friendly group. Our humble members and leaders have been helpful in their church and communities for many years.
The Pastor, Exhorter, Stewards, Stewardess, Trustees, Deaconess, Class Leaders and Sunday School Teachers provide Good Stone AME. Zion with the inspiration and direction to keep it going and growing
Mr. Jimmie King & Seg. "Buddy" King
Bio: (Pic:Left to right) Father and son, Jimmie and "Buddy" King, are both life long members of Good Stone. Bro. Jimmie holds a position of Trustee and his son, Captain "Buddy" is now station at Fort Lewis in Washington. Buddy has served our country for 11 years. He attends service whenever he's home and he is still very much a part of our Church family.
Mrs. Rose McKinze, Mrs. Sara Gully & Local Pastor, Mrs. Jimmie Johnson
Bio: (Pic: left to right) Sis.. Rose McKenzie is a dedicated musician and President of the Home Mission. Sis. Rose is truly an inspiration to us all.
Sis. Sarah Gully services as Deaconess and is also an Honorary Choir Member. Sis Sarah has served at Good Stone for over 60 years.
Local Pastor, Sis. Jimmie Johnson is loyal and dedicated, she is a leader who does her best to assist the Pastor and members whenever needed.
Jennifer Young, Kimberly Freeman, Josh Jones, Shana Ervin Jones
Bio: (Pic: left to right) Jennifer, Kim, Josh and Shana are sisters and brother in Christ and they are also biological sisters and brother.
They grow up in this church. Their parents and Grandparents were some of the founders of our church. These sisters and brother represents Good Stones youth and the members of Good Stone are truly proud of them.
Jennifer Young and Kimberly servers in Christian Education positions, Shana Ervin Jones holds a position as a Stewardess and Josh serves in any position asked.
The purpose of our foundations (The Women Home & Overseas Missionaries, Son of Varick, Building Funds, etc...) are to minister and help believers and unbelievers. We have a duty to:
- Reach out to the less fortunate
- An obligation to lead by example
- Acceptance of the fact that we, too, may someday require assistance in our time of need
- The path to salvation lies in loving, giving and helping others
Good Stone is a church with a purpose. We comes together (or assembles) for the purpose of bringing each member to spiritual maturity (Ephesians 4:13) and to help those who can't help themselves.
The church reaches out to spread the love of Christ and the gospel message to unbelievers in our community (Matthew 28:18-20). This is the Great Commission.
Find out more about our people and the history of Good Stone A.M.E. Zion.